Sunday, December 6, 2009

Draw of mixed emotions

So after all that wait, we now know who each of the 32 teams will be playing against in the first round of the Fifa World Cup. What I’ll do is run the groups and give my opinion on each group as I go along.

Starting with group A it brought hosts South Africa with the tough task of having to get through a group with France, Mexico and Uruguay. Its certainly not the group I wished for! France have done well in recent world cups and have quality players despite under performing in the qualifiers while Mexico have qualified for something like 14 world cups so their pedigree is there for all to see. Uruguay also have some quality players in Diego Forlan for example so its going to be hard for SA to get out of this group. Having said that the opening game against Mexico will prove to be crucial and I feel should SA get something out of that game we could very well get through to the next round. My favourites are France and Mexico for the group.

Group B sees Argentina grouped with South Korea, Nigeria and Greece. Argentina should be favourites but I see Nigeria being a dark horse to win this group. South Korea will be organised and so to will Greece but I think the Argentinians and Nigerians should have too much quality for them.

England were in my opinion the most fortunate of all the seeded teams as they were grouped with USA, Algeria and Slovenia. They should win all 3 group games and I see the USA beating the other two teams so England first and USA second should be how this group finishes.

One of Africa’s best teams found themselves in Group D with Germany, Serbia and Australia. That team being Ghana and this is a group that can go anyway. I think Germany will get through as group winners and I’ll assume that Ghana will just about have enough to out do the remaining two teams. Tough group though.

Group E is another difficult group to call with the likes of the Netherlands, Japan, Cameroon and Denmark. Holland performed well in the qualifiers and have the quality to go far in the tournament so I’ll mark them as the group winners and I think Denmark are a very good team, for many are overlooking, but not me though. I think they’ll beat the other two for second place although I’ll be hoping Cameroon do well. I’ve managed to get tickets for the Netherlands and Cameroon match so that should be interesting.

Italy also got a favourable draw as they were grouped with New Zealand, Paraguay and Slovakia. This group is fairly easy to predict as Italy should win the group with Paraguay in second. Like England the Azzuri won’t have any complaints with this group.

Now for what is the group of death. Group G puts the giants of Brazil against Portugal and the Ivory Coast. North Korea complete the group but it is the three fancied teams mentioned before them who will make this group so interesting. Brazil should win this group, but its anybody’s guess who will join them. The match between Portugal and Ivory Coast will be like a virtual knock out match and for me that should be the match of the first round. There will however be some interesting group matches coming from this group though.

Spain were the last of the seeded teams to be drawn, but they too won’t be complaining. First spot should be assured to the European champions but it is the fight for second place between Chile, Honduras and Switzerland that should be a good scrap. Personally I see Chile surprising a few and finishing second.

I must say I enjoyed the draw as far as its presentation was concerned so well done to the LOC for that. With just over 6 months to the world cup, its going to be another anxious wait until that mouth watering clash between the South Africa and Mexico. It’s a good thing there's lots of sport to keep us busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment