Friday, July 2, 2010

My World Cup quarter final predictions

With the World Cup reaching the quarter final stages today I thought I'd give my predictions for the four matches. Having got 11 of the 16 2nd round teams correct, lets hope I can keep up a good ratio.
Brazil - Netherlands. This has to go to Brazil. They have looked in good form throughout the tournament and seem to have the most complete team in the tournament. Holland are a good side, don't get me wrong, but I just cannot see them beating the mighty Brazil today. For Holland to win, they will need Robben, Van Persie and Sneijder to dictate things, but with the Brazilian defence having kept two clean sheets recently I think the guys dictating things are going to be Kaka, Felipe Melo and Gilberto Silva.

Ghana - Uruguay. For me this may prove the tightest of matches and may even go to penalties, but I think the pressure will tell for Ghana and that Uruguay will go through from this match. They have defended well this tournament and Luis Suarez seems to be hitting form at the right time. I'd like to be proven wrong though, for I'll be supporting Ghana in this match.

Germany - Argentina. What a match in prospect. Ozil vs Messi. Klose vs Higuan. Khedira vs Mascherano. Mueller vs Tevez. Its going to be a fascinating match. Matches like this are usually defined but one moment and just like Diego Maradona in 1986, I think this will be the defining moment for Lionel Messi. He has yet to score in the tournament so I'm going for him to break his duck and for Argentina to go through.

Paraguay - Spain. This will prove to be straight forward for the silky Spanish. They'll have too much quality and ultimately a mouth watering match in the semi's with Argentina may await.

No comments:

Post a Comment